1. So, I had phone conversations with my tax guy, and the IRS, this morning. This year’s Federal return will wipe out the balance we owe to the IRS from ’06, with a little left over. This will also terminate the monthly automatic payment we’ve been making (yay). This year’s State return is a good amount, too, and will go toward debt.
2. Yanni tickets went on sale to the general public on Monday, and I secured five tickets for the June concert in Glendale (I got the CD/DVD of “Yanni: Voices” in the mail yesterday and I am LOVING it). Accompanying myself and Calvin will be Marie, Michael, and Michael’s girlfriend. We will get dressed up all fancy and go to a nice restaurant beforehand, and make An Occasion out of the whole thing. I am looking forward to this to a stupid degree.
3. I’m investigating a road trip to Yellowstone for this summer, instead of a trip to Sturgis. My reasoning: Calvin and I will be participating in Arizona Bike Week activities coming up in the next couple of weeks. We’re not SO hard core that we’ll want to do the same thing all over again (albeit in a different state) in a few months. However, I think we’ll still drag the motorcycle up to Yellowstone if we go – I can’t imagine better scenery to ride among.
4. I’m still planning on that long weekend with Heather in July.
5. The Tempe Festival of the Arts is this weekend, an event I always look forward to. My idea of a perfect day is to wake up early with Calvin, perhaps get some nookie in (heh), grab some breakfast somewhere, and spend a day strolling hand-in-hand, people watching and perusing stuff we’d never buy. Plus, Mill Avenue = easy access to beer. Should be a good day for taking pictures, too.
The upshot is, I’m maintaining a positive attitude. The only thing that continues to loom over my head is upcoming layoff announcements that effect my department. They’re making the announcement in May of who, specifically, will be impacted, and we’ve known that it’s coming for a few months. Things have been stressystressystressy around these here parts, to say the least. My boss maintains that he’s “cautiously optimistic” that our group will escape unscathed, but my skepticism remains: “If it MIGHT happen, it’ll WILL happen to ME.”
If I can get past THAT, well, I’m eligible for my second Sabbatical as of October 5th (194 days and FALLing…). I’ll probably wait until next May/June or June/July to take it, but damn. Just knowing it’s THERE and waiting for me goes a long way towards making my life a bit brighter.